Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply external strain on top surface of cylinder?

Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All

I am doing simulation to study elastic properties of cylindrical abject. I want to apply external strain on top surface of the cylinder. So how can COMSOL handles such cases?
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 9 nov. 2013, 12:31 UTC−5
Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov. 2013, 04:08 UTC−5
Hi All

To make my questions more clear. COMSOL allows to put initial strain/stress . But these options are for selected 3D regions (in the case of 3D problems) . I want to apply initial or external strain only on the top surface of cylinder which is 2D.

Thanks
Hi All To make my questions more clear. COMSOL allows to put initial strain/stress . But these options are for selected 3D regions (in the case of 3D problems) . I want to apply initial or external strain only on the top surface of cylinder which is 2D. Thanks

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov. 2013, 16:43 UTC−5
Hi Alberto,

An initial strain in a solid model cannot be confined to the surface with zero thickness. That is I believe a theoretical restriction not a COMSOL restriction. You can create a thin layer close to the surface and apply the initial strain there.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Alberto, An initial strain in a solid model cannot be confined to the surface with zero thickness. That is I believe a theoretical restriction not a COMSOL restriction. You can create a thin layer close to the surface and apply the initial strain there. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 nov. 2013, 12:31 UTC−5
Dear Nagi

Thank you for your suggestions. Basically what I wanted is to apply external strain on the top and bottom of the cylinder. I just thought using the initial strain option from COMSOL might bring solution.

As you said it, I can add thin elastic layer but I may change the entire problem. Specially when dealing with core-shell cylinders and piezoelectric cylinders. I jut was wondering if there is direct way in COMSOL to apply external strain on specified surface (Top...bottom....) of the 3D cylinder.

Thanks
Dear Nagi Thank you for your suggestions. Basically what I wanted is to apply external strain on the top and bottom of the cylinder. I just thought using the initial strain option from COMSOL might bring solution. As you said it, I can add thin elastic layer but I may change the entire problem. Specially when dealing with core-shell cylinders and piezoelectric cylinders. I jut was wondering if there is direct way in COMSOL to apply external strain on specified surface (Top...bottom....) of the 3D cylinder. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.