Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D MEF model of a coaxial cable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol Community,

I am trying to model both the electric and magnetic fields in a coaxial cable in 2D, by using the mef physic. Getting both fields solved at the same time is important for the future evolution of the model, this is why I do not want to separate the problem into two different physics solved independantly. Also I cannot move to an axial symmetric model as the cable may become more complicated in further simulations.

The voltage of the inner conductor should be 1V and this of the outer conductor should be 0V. And I would like to have at the same time a current I circulating in the inner conductor and a current -I flowing in the outer one (of course this current circulation requires a voltage drop along the cable, but this voltage drop is assumed negligible as regards the applied voltage).

I managed to apply the currents in both conductors by use of single-turn coil domains, and the results in terms of magnetic field seems to be OK. But I cannot find a way to impose the voltages, which is why the electric field remains zero in the attached model.

Any advice will be appreciated for solving this problem !
Best regards,
Adrien.

0 Replies Last Post 23 oct. 2013, 09:00 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Adrien

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.