Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

magnets, magneticing flux lines

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

i just want to make a 3d model of a magnet (cylindrical) showing only the magnetic flux lines. i have no problems in making the geometry. the only problem that I face is that I do not know how to assign north and south poles. is there a way or any alternative way. please let me know i am absolutely new at this. thanks in advance!

i am able to show an arrow diagram but cannot seem to direct the arrow from north to south. please help.

1 Reply Last Post 1 oct. 2013, 15:48 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 oct. 2013, 15:48 UTC−4
Hi,

you have several options under the Ampere's law node. One would be to set the constitutive relation of the magnetic field to 'magnetization' and set a suitable magnetization vector according to your needs.

If the magnet is cylindrical with symmetric magnetization you can save a lot of resources by setting up a 2D axially symmetric model instead of 3D.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, you have several options under the Ampere's law node. One would be to set the constitutive relation of the magnetic field to 'magnetization' and set a suitable magnetization vector according to your needs. If the magnet is cylindrical with symmetric magnetization you can save a lot of resources by setting up a 2D axially symmetric model instead of 3D. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.