Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface to Surface Radiation - material defined emissivity not being applied to boundaries

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi -

I'm doing an analysis involving Heat Transfer with Surface to Surface Radiation. With the model set up, the software does not appear to recognize emissivities as defined in each particular material. Under the materials node, none of my boundaries appear to have materials assigned to them, but all of my domains do. And when I try to run the analysis, it returns with an error that epsilon_rad is not defined.

So the domains have emissivities defined, but they do not seem to be carry8ng over to the boundaries. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

1 Reply Last Post 26 sept. 2013, 02:38 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 sept. 2013, 02:38 UTC−4
Hi,

You have to define emissivity to boundaries, not domains. You can do this to under material node (make new one, change domain to boundary and select needed boundaries) or under current radiation node.

Best regards

Tero
Hi, You have to define emissivity to boundaries, not domains. You can do this to under material node (make new one, change domain to boundary and select needed boundaries) or under current radiation node. Best regards Tero

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.