Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can I find eigenmodes propagating in given direction?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I have a general question about eigenmode problem in RF module. How can i find only eigenmodes propagating in given direction? For example, let's consider an infinite number of parallel cylinders lying on substrate. I can model such a geometry using pereodic boundary conditions. I would like to find eigenmodes of this system propagating parallel to the substrate and perpendicular to the cylinders. How can i find such a solution?

Thank you in advance!

3 Replies Last Post 30 août 2013, 16:32 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 août 2013, 08:11 UTC−4
Hi,

so far I havent done too much with EM eigenmodes, but I think they have a k vector. Then the dot product of the mode's k vector and your preferred direction should be a measure for the alignment of the mode.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Hi, so far I havent done too much with EM eigenmodes, but I think they have a k vector. Then the dot product of the mode's k vector and your preferred direction should be a measure for the alignment of the mode. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 août 2013, 08:35 UTC−4
Thank you, Edgar!

But the solver of eigen mode problem doesn't allow to specify a direction of the k-vector of the sought modes (or i don't know how to do it). Of course it is possible first to find all modes and after it one can select desired modes, however such a solution seems irrational. May be someone know how to force the solver look over only the necessary solutions?
Thank you, Edgar! But the solver of eigen mode problem doesn't allow to specify a direction of the k-vector of the sought modes (or i don't know how to do it). Of course it is possible first to find all modes and after it one can select desired modes, however such a solution seems irrational. May be someone know how to force the solver look over only the necessary solutions?

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2013, 16:32 UTC−4
Use Floquet periodic boundary conditions. Your "unit cell" would be one cylinder diameter wide - the height and width are determined by what you're interested in (see below). By setting the Floquet (Bloch) wavevector (kx,ky,kz under the periodic condition settings) you will determine the solutions you will find.

If your cylinders are infinitely long then the problem is 2D.
If you only care about guided modes than you can also use periodic BCs above and below ensuring that the domain is large enough that the solutions don't couple to each other.

If you do care about leaky modes (into radiation or the substrate ) then use PML above and below.

Use Floquet periodic boundary conditions. Your "unit cell" would be one cylinder diameter wide - the height and width are determined by what you're interested in (see below). By setting the Floquet (Bloch) wavevector (kx,ky,kz under the periodic condition settings) you will determine the solutions you will find. If your cylinders are infinitely long then the problem is 2D. If you only care about guided modes than you can also use periodic BCs above and below ensuring that the domain is large enough that the solutions don't couple to each other. If you do care about leaky modes (into radiation or the substrate ) then use PML above and below.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.