Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulate Fields Outside of Semiconductor Device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is it possible to simulate the electric fields outside a solid-state device (such as a PN junction)? In other words, I'd like to create a boundary outside the device representing air and solve Poisson's equation in that region based on the charges and potentials on the surface of the device.

If this is possible, must I use the semiconductor module (to simulate device physics by solving Poisson's and drift-diffusion equation) with the AC/DC module (use the potentials generated from the semiconductor module and apply to boundary of air)?

Is it possible to choose for drift-diffusion + Poisson's equation to be solved inside device and only Poisson's outside of device, thus requiring only the semiconductor module?

6 Replies Last Post 3 déc. 2014, 20:14 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juil. 2013, 05:30 UTC−4

I think you need either AC/DC or RF for this, depending on the relation of structural dimensions and wavelength.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
I think you need either AC/DC or RF for this, depending on the relation of structural dimensions and wavelength. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juil. 2013, 05:39 UTC−4
Hello ysbordain (what's your name btw),

seems a sure thing to me this is possible in COMSOL. I am not familiar with the semiconductor module, but I guess you can solve for your inner device potentials and then you can use a coupling operater to map the electric potential at the device boundary to the out-of-device physics, which would be electrostatics. The electrostatics interface is part of the COMSOL main package, afaik. Thus, you would not need the AC/DC module.

Coupling physics isn't a beginner's job, though. So you will probably have to put some time and work in it...

Best regards
Eric
Hello ysbordain (what's your name btw), seems a sure thing to me this is possible in COMSOL. I am not familiar with the semiconductor module, but I guess you can solve for your inner device potentials and then you can use a coupling operater to map the electric potential at the device boundary to the out-of-device physics, which would be electrostatics. The electrostatics interface is part of the COMSOL main package, afaik. Thus, you would not need the AC/DC module. Coupling physics isn't a beginner's job, though. So you will probably have to put some time and work in it... Best regards Eric

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juil. 2013, 05:53 UTC−4

I think you need either AC/DC or RF for this, depending on the relation of structural dimensions and wavelength.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology

Hi Edgar,

in case of high frequency studies of course. I didn't consider that case.
Maybe the thread starter could clarify that point.
[QUOTE] I think you need either AC/DC or RF for this, depending on the relation of structural dimensions and wavelength. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology [/QUOTE] Hi Edgar, in case of high frequency studies of course. I didn't consider that case. Maybe the thread starter could clarify that point.

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juil. 2013, 12:15 UTC−4
For now, I am only looking at electrostatics. I want to sweep the bias on the device and see how that changes the fields outside of the device. I then want to make an array of these devices and do the same thing, looking at how the distance between them change the fields in the environment.
For now, I am only looking at electrostatics. I want to sweep the bias on the device and see how that changes the fields outside of the device. I then want to make an array of these devices and do the same thing, looking at how the distance between them change the fields in the environment.

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juil. 2013, 12:17 UTC−4
Thank you for your reply, Eric.

Are there any tutorials available for coupling the physics?

Yemaya
Thank you for your reply, Eric. Are there any tutorials available for coupling the physics? Yemaya

Posted: 10 years ago 3 déc. 2014, 20:14 UTC−5
Hi ysbordain. did you have any success in solving fields outside the semiconductor device ?
Hi ysbordain. did you have any success in solving fields outside the semiconductor device ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.