Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to create a loft?

Fnu Mohammed Taqiuddin

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to create a tapered wing (with root chord 200 and tip chord 150).
like in any CAD software you have a option called loft, using loft you can easily create a tapered wing.
But i didnt find any such option in COMSOL.
If anyone can help, i will be very glad.
thank you.
mohammed.

4 Replies Last Post 30 sept. 2016, 09:46 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fnu Mohammed Taqiuddin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 4 déc. 2015, 10:41 UTC−5
Hello Fnu,
The loft capability is available in the Design Module, see www.comsol.com/design-module
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Fnu, The loft capability is available in the Design Module, see http://www.comsol.com/design-module Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 30 sept. 2016, 06:09 UTC−4
hi,
I checked on the link you posted, and it says nothing about how to loft a surface to create a 3D object. Neither is any info available in the DesignModuleUsersGuide nor COMSOL_ReferenceManual nor webpage support/videos/etc
I know comsol CAD modeller is quite basic and its main goal is not to include all functions available in regular 3D CAD software, but definitely it should provide a proper help/guidance on the newest featured tools.
hi, I checked on the link you posted, and it says nothing about how to loft a surface to create a 3D object. Neither is any info available in the DesignModuleUsersGuide nor COMSOL_ReferenceManual nor webpage support/videos/etc I know comsol CAD modeller is quite basic and its main goal is not to include all functions available in regular 3D CAD software, but definitely it should provide a proper help/guidance on the newest featured tools.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 30 sept. 2016, 07:43 UTC−4
Oscar,

I don't know where you were looking. Here is the respective sentence in Jeff's link:

--citation
In addition to the geometric operations found in the CAD Import Module, you can also create lofted objects based on cross-sectional profiles ...
--citation end

In Comsol 5.2a you can add a loft feature to your geometry (you need the Design Module licence) and calling the help (press F1) opens the respective documentation.

Hope that helps.
Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Oscar, I don't know where you were looking. Here is the respective sentence in Jeff's link: --citation ... In addition to the geometric operations found in the CAD Import Module, you can also create lofted objects based on cross-sectional profiles ... --citation end In Comsol 5.2a you can add a loft feature to your geometry (you need the Design Module licence) and calling the help (press F1) opens the respective documentation. Hope that helps. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 30 sept. 2016, 09:46 UTC−4
Hello Oscar,

Beside the sentence that Edgar pointed out above and the one following it, you will find a couple of pictures on the same webpage that illustrate the use of lofting with the Design Module. In the Design Module manual that you mention, the lofting capabilities are addressed in various locations, particularly starting on pages 17, 37 and 78 in version 5.2a of that document. I used Ctrl+F and queried for "loft" to find those pages quickly.
There is also a detailed example with step-by-step instructions on how to use the loft operation, entitled "Working with the Loft Operation" in the Introduction to Design Module manual. Check it out!

Best,
Jeff

PS: The lofting operation is not documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual because that manual covers functionalities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics while the lofting capabilities are exclusive to the Design Module.
Hello Oscar, Beside the sentence that Edgar pointed out above and the one following it, you will find a couple of pictures on the same webpage that illustrate the use of lofting with the Design Module. In the Design Module manual that you mention, the lofting capabilities are addressed in various locations, particularly starting on pages 17, 37 and 78 in version 5.2a of that document. I used Ctrl+F and queried for "loft" to find those pages quickly. There is also a detailed example with step-by-step instructions on how to use the loft operation, entitled "Working with the Loft Operation" in the Introduction to Design Module manual. Check it out! Best, Jeff PS: The lofting operation is not documented in the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual because that manual covers functionalities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics while the lofting capabilities are exclusive to the Design Module.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.