Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Induced voltage in a coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modelling an eddy current testing probe with the AC/DC module. The model is 3D, and I have a transmitter coil with an applied current and also a receiver coil with no current. I'm doing a frequency domain study with frequencies of a few thousand Hz. I need to compute the induced voltage in the receiver coil but I don't know how.

I'm modelling the coil with the multi-turn coil domain. I read in the documentation that it can compute the voltage, but I couldn't find anything that says how. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

Neil

5 Replies Last Post 31 juil. 2013, 04:22 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 juin 2013, 17:11 UTC−4

Hi Neil,

you have to add a terminal or a port to the coil.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Neil, you have to add a terminal or a port to the coil. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 juin 2013, 08:56 UTC−4
this model maybe helpful to you, and the induced voltages both in the primary and the secondary windings are calculated. It may be a little complex than your model.
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/14123/
this model maybe helpful to you, and the induced voltages both in the primary and the secondary windings are calculated. It may be a little complex than your model. http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/14123/

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 juil. 2013, 13:57 UTC−4

Hi Neil,

you have to add a terminal or a port to the coil.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

Hi Edgar, thanks for your reply.

Would you mind giving a bit more information - how do I use a terminal/port?
[QUOTE] Hi Neil, you have to add a terminal or a port to the coil. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE] Hi Edgar, thanks for your reply. Would you mind giving a bit more information - how do I use a terminal/port?

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 juil. 2013, 14:16 UTC−4

this model maybe helpful to you, and the induced voltages both in the primary and the secondary windings are calculated. It may be a little complex than your model.

Thanks, that is helpful.

I've tried to modify that example until it's just like what I'm modeling, but I've encountered another problem. As soon as the coils move apart (in my model they are beside each other, not one within the other), the solution no longer converges. I've attached the model, and if you vary the coil_dist parameter from 14mm to 16mm you will see that it suddenly stops converging. Do you have any idea why this might be?
[QUOTE] this model maybe helpful to you, and the induced voltages both in the primary and the secondary windings are calculated. It may be a little complex than your model. http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/14123/ [/QUOTE] Thanks, that is helpful. I've tried to modify that example until it's just like what I'm modeling, but I've encountered another problem. As soon as the coils move apart (in my model they are beside each other, not one within the other), the solution no longer converges. I've attached the model, and if you vary the coil_dist parameter from 14mm to 16mm you will see that it suddenly stops converging. Do you have any idea why this might be?

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 juil. 2013, 04:22 UTC−4

Thanks, that is helpful.

I've tried to modify that example until it's just like what I'm modeling, but I've encountered another problem. As soon as the coils move apart (in my model they are beside each other, not one within the other), the solution no longer converges. I've attached the model, and if you vary the coil_dist parameter from 14mm to 16mm you will see that it suddenly stops converging. Do you have any idea why this might be?

i think you have to make shure that the coil-domains did not intersect with each other. Also as the geometry changes doublecheck the allocation of the coilin respect eg. ports or reference edges.
[QUOTE] [QUOTE] this model maybe helpful to you, and the induced voltages both in the primary and the secondary windings are calculated. It may be a little complex than your model. http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/14123/ [/QUOTE] Thanks, that is helpful. I've tried to modify that example until it's just like what I'm modeling, but I've encountered another problem. As soon as the coils move apart (in my model they are beside each other, not one within the other), the solution no longer converges. I've attached the model, and if you vary the coil_dist parameter from 14mm to 16mm you will see that it suddenly stops converging. Do you have any idea why this might be? [/QUOTE] i think you have to make shure that the coil-domains did not intersect with each other. Also as the geometry changes doublecheck the allocation of the coilin respect eg. ports or reference edges.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.