Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Very high displacements shown in resonating MEMS devices

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been modelling several structures of MEMS resonators and when I do the eigenfrequency analysis, I am getting displacements of the order of 1 m while the size of the structures is of the order of 1 um.

Can anyone tell me why I am getting this problem and how it can be solved?

1 Reply Last Post 25 juin 2013, 03:33 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 juin 2013, 03:33 UTC−4
Hi,

the eigenfrequency analysis doesn't show the magnitude of a mode, just the frequency and the shape. The displacement is arbitrary.
If you want to know magnitudes you have to run a frequency domain study around the frequencies of interest and with the appropriate stimulus.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi, the eigenfrequency analysis doesn't show the magnitude of a mode, just the frequency and the shape. The displacement is arbitrary. If you want to know magnitudes you have to run a frequency domain study around the frequencies of interest and with the appropriate stimulus. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.