Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

When to use zero or nonzero conductivity for plasmonics?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

We have looked at the Optical Scattering off a Gold Nanosphere model (model 12415) after
trying on our own to solve for the frequency response of a gold nanosphere. We also attempted modifying the Radar Cross-Section model (model 8613) for the same purpose. Both models must use an electrical conductivity of zero for the gold in order to obtain the correct result. We do not understand why this is so, since the electrical conductivity of gold is nonzero.

More generally, when is it appropriate to set electrical conductivity to zero and when is it not?

2 Replies Last Post 31 juil. 2013, 22:58 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 juin 2013, 17:07 UTC−4
I didn't check the two models you mentioned, but I guess the permittivity is complex number in those models. You should note in frequency domain complex permittivity is equivalent to nonzero conductivity.

Hello,

We have looked at the Optical Scattering off a Gold Nanosphere model (model 12415) after
trying on our own to solve for the frequency response of a gold nanosphere. We also attempted modifying the Radar Cross-Section model (model 8613) for the same purpose. Both models must use an electrical conductivity of zero for the gold in order to obtain the correct result. We do not understand why this is so, since the electrical conductivity of gold is nonzero.

More generally, when is it appropriate to set electrical conductivity to zero and when is it not?

--
Pu, ZHANG ??
Departamento de Física Teórica de la Materia Condensada,
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid,
Madrid, Spain.
I didn't check the two models you mentioned, but I guess the permittivity is complex number in those models. You should note in frequency domain complex permittivity is equivalent to nonzero conductivity. [QUOTE] Hello, We have looked at the Optical Scattering off a Gold Nanosphere model (model 12415) after trying on our own to solve for the frequency response of a gold nanosphere. We also attempted modifying the Radar Cross-Section model (model 8613) for the same purpose. Both models must use an electrical conductivity of zero for the gold in order to obtain the correct result. We do not understand why this is so, since the electrical conductivity of gold is nonzero. More generally, when is it appropriate to set electrical conductivity to zero and when is it not? [/QUOTE] -- Pu, ZHANG ?? Departamento de Física Teórica de la Materia Condensada, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain.

Posted: 1 decade ago 31 juil. 2013, 22:58 UTC−4
Dear Everyone,
I also has this problem to understanding why the conductivity should be set to zero while the complex permittivity is equivalent to nonzero conductivity.

Dear Everyone, I also has this problem to understanding why the conductivity should be set to zero while the complex permittivity is equivalent to nonzero conductivity.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.