Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Saving data at prescribed time points

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am planning to run a time-dependent simulation using the multi-physics module and was wondering if there is a way to save the data file only during the last time step of the simulation.

When I ran the simulation for 100 seconds after choosing free time step option, comsol saved the solution at so many different time points starting from 0 to 100 sec. I now have a comsol file that has solution data saved at atleast 10-20 time points within each second which resulted in a huge data file (~ 7 GB). If I increase the mesh size, then comsol is not even progressing until the end because the file exceeded the storage limit size in the /tmp directory.

I only want to save the solution let's say during the last time step only (i.e. from 99 sec - 100 sec) but want the solution to progress from 0 sec - 100 sec.

How can I define this setting?

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post 12 mars 2010, 07:13 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 mars 2010, 13:05 UTC−5
To do so:

(1) select "specified times" (see grab.by/2ZuP ). This way it will only save the data points specified in (2)

(2) you can have two stepping period to save even less steps, and concentrate on the last steps. see grab.by/2Zv0
To do so: (1) select "specified times" (see http://grab.by/2ZuP ). This way it will only save the data points specified in (2) (2) you can have two stepping period to save even less steps, and concentrate on the last steps. see http://grab.by/2Zv0

Posted: 1 decade ago 11 mars 2010, 18:37 UTC−5
Does this mean that the data will be saved at the end of each second until the total time reaches from 0 to 99 sec and then the data starts saving at increments of 0.001 seconds from 99 to 100 sec?
Does this mean that the data will be saved at the end of each second until the total time reaches from 0 to 99 sec and then the data starts saving at increments of 0.001 seconds from 99 to 100 sec?

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mars 2010, 04:25 UTC−5
I would imagine so.
I would imagine so.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mars 2010, 07:13 UTC−5
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.