Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modelling elatic-water interface in Solid Mechanics model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am trying to model a cylindrical phantom which is placed in water under acoustic radiation force.

The acoustic radiation force is loaded as a 'body load' which works fine. However my problem is how do I treat the 'water' in my elastic model. I tired to create a 'psudo water' by setting the Poisson's ratio really high and Young's modulus really low (so that longitude wave speed is 1500m/s and shear wave speed is very small). This works fine in 2D. However as I extend the model to 3D, the mesh requirement increased and I cannot afford the computational cost any more.

My question is, in Comsol, is there a type of boundary condition I can make use of to place around the my elastic phantom so that I can omit the large water domain out side it ? My water is static.

If not is there any alternatives ?

Thank you

Ning

0 Replies Last Post 28 mai 2013, 12:39 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ning Zhang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.