Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitive sensor - coupling with circuit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I build a small model of a capacitive sensor (small conducting plate). An electric dipole serves as the source of an electric field.

The field induces a surface current density at the sensor plate. But i cannot figure out how i couple this current with an attached circuit (see attached figure of circuit).

I tried lumped ports (electrical circuit module) and terminals (electric currents module), and coupled those with an external I vs U node.

But since the sensor only has one contact (one node, see figure) I don't think lumped ports and external I vs Us are approriate.

Would be nice if someone could give me a hint. Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post 18 mai 2013, 06:41 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 mai 2013, 16:40 UTC−4

Hi Rüdiger,

I have a couple of comments:

1. The ground you indicate in the circuit must some way have a counterpart in the model. The current must have a path to flow back into the geometry.

2. Your model dimensions are much smaller than the wavelength. A couple of cm versus 300 m at 1 MHz. So you should use AC/DC instead of RF. A PML is useless, you don't have waves in your model.

3. In AC/DC you should probably use terminals. You define your electrode as a terminal and you must define a ground in your model geometry

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Rüdiger, I have a couple of comments: 1. The ground you indicate in the circuit must some way have a counterpart in the model. The current must have a path to flow back into the geometry. 2. Your model dimensions are much smaller than the wavelength. A couple of cm versus 300 m at 1 MHz. So you should use AC/DC instead of RF. A PML is useless, you don't have waves in your model. 3. In AC/DC you should probably use terminals. You define your electrode as a terminal and you must define a ground in your model geometry Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 mai 2013, 06:41 UTC−4
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Best regards.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.