Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Beam excited by a shaker

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I aim to model a simple beam excited by a shaker. I am using the Solid Mechanics.
I would like to know how big is the displacement of a particular mode (eg first flexural) when I excite the beam in resonance.

I found the eigenfrequencies using the study step EIGENFREQUENCY. Let's talk about just one of them, eg 100Hz

now I would like to excite the beam with this frequency I have just found. How to do that?

What I tried to do was to use the study step FREQUENCY DOMAIN choosing the frequencies 100Hz and to compute it.

I have this error:

Failed to find a solution.
The relative residual (0.25) is greater than the relative tolerance (0.001).
Returned solution is not converged.

I can imagine it is for the reason that using a stationary solver, without damping, at resonance it can't converge. but, in this case, how can I do? Is it wrong to use he stationary? What abut the frequency dmain as study step rather than FREQUENCY DOMAIN MODAL?

Thanks in advance

Fabrizio

2 Replies Last Post 16 févr. 2014, 21:50 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fabrizio Magi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 févr. 2014, 07:51 UTC−5
Hi Fabrizio,

You should use Frequency Domain Study instead of Frequency Domain Modal Study, and you have to define a kind of load for the excitation.

Although it's a bit of an old matter, I 'd be glad to learn more about it. Hope someone will reopen it.

Regards,
Nicolas T.
Hi Fabrizio, You should use Frequency Domain Study instead of Frequency Domain Modal Study, and you have to define a kind of load for the excitation. Although it's a bit of an old matter, I 'd be glad to learn more about it. Hope someone will reopen it. Regards, Nicolas T.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 févr. 2014, 21:50 UTC−5
When you excite a structure with a harmonic force exactly at one of its natural frequencies with no damping you get infinite displacement magnitude. For this type of loading damping becomes very important and you should include it in the analysis.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
When you excite a structure with a harmonic force exactly at one of its natural frequencies with no damping you get infinite displacement magnitude. For this type of loading damping becomes very important and you should include it in the analysis. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.