Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

complex relative permittivity: definition of the imaginary part in a look-up table

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm quite confused right now as regards the definition of the complex relative permittivity.

In a previous discussion I've read that a complex permittivity of a+jb should be entered as a-jb as COMSOL would always regard the imaginary part as a negative entry.

Now I'm wondering whether this also applies to the definition of the complex permittivity in a lookup table.

Is it either: eps_real(freq)+j*eps_imag(freq) or
eps_real(freq)-j*eps_imag(freq) ?

Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post 2 avr. 2013, 08:47 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 avr. 2013, 07:21 UTC−4
Andrea,

it may be best to look at the equations. You can find that in the help pages:

RF Module > The Radio Frequency Branch > Theory for the Electromagnetic Waves Interface > Introducing Losses in the Frequency Domain

Here it states that losses are described with eps_c = eps_0 ( eps' - j eps'')

It appears that COMSOL is using the engineering convention here, whereas the physics convention is eps_c = eps_0 (eps' + j eps'').

I am wondering how often courageous science projects fail because physicists and engineers use different conventions ;-).

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Andrea, it may be best to look at the equations. You can find that in the help pages: RF Module > The Radio Frequency Branch > Theory for the Electromagnetic Waves Interface > Introducing Losses in the Frequency Domain Here it states that losses are described with eps_c = eps_0 ( eps' - j eps'') It appears that COMSOL is using the engineering convention here, whereas the physics convention is eps_c = eps_0 (eps' + j eps''). I am wondering how often courageous science projects fail because physicists and engineers use different conventions ;-). Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 avr. 2013, 08:47 UTC−4
Thank you, Sir!
Thank you, Sir!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.