Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate the impedance

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to calculate the impedance after feeding my set-up with a constant voltage.
As I have frequency-dependent parameters (relative permittivity and conductance), I expect complex values.

Is there any option to right away calculate the impedance in COMSOL?
Or do I first have to calculate other values, e.g. current density?

My problem is that I can only find the options: Average, Integration, Maximum and Minimum as regards the simulated voltage plot.

Thank you!

4 Replies Last Post 14 mai 2013, 05:47 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mars 2013, 07:02 UTC−4
Hi

if you use the lumped ports / terminal you get the global values predefined

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you use the lumped ports / terminal you get the global values predefined -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mars 2013, 08:09 UTC−4
Thank you!

I was able to calculate resp. plot the impedance. But to my surprise it turned out to be constant...
As my potential is neither a constant according to my simulation, I'm a bit flabbergasted.

Do you by chance know whether COMSOL has any restrictions with the calculation of currents?
That would help me a lot!
Thank you! I was able to calculate resp. plot the impedance. But to my surprise it turned out to be constant... As my potential is neither a constant according to my simulation, I'm a bit flabbergasted. Do you by chance know whether COMSOL has any restrictions with the calculation of currents? That would help me a lot!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mars 2013, 08:14 UTC−4
Hi

check your BC settings, you might have missed something there, and dump more variables visa the derived variables to be sure the model really behaves as you expected ;)

I haven't really caught COMSOL with "severe" formula errors since back in 4.0, 4.1 time ;) So I tend to trust the latest versions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check your BC settings, you might have missed something there, and dump more variables visa the derived variables to be sure the model really behaves as you expected ;) I haven't really caught COMSOL with "severe" formula errors since back in 4.0, 4.1 time ;) So I tend to trust the latest versions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mai 2013, 05:47 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,
I am new to comsol, can you please help me how too plot impedance vs frequency plot.
Hi Ivar, I am new to comsol, can you please help me how too plot impedance vs frequency plot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.