Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

question about solving a nernest-planck modified equation using PDE model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,everyone.I was trying to solving a problem which is concerned with the flux of ionic species under the electrical and concentration field.Basically,I want to find out the local concentration of the ions at the bond pad-moulding
compound interface.
The mass flux is given by the equation J1=-D*(grad(C1)*(1+q*C1/(1-C1*q))+grad(U)*(F*C1/R*T)
where C1 denotes the concentration of the species,
J denotes the flux of ion species
U denotes electric field,
D denotes diffusion coefficient
T denotes the temperature
q,F,R is a constant
My model is rectanglar with mounding compoud in the upper part and Al pad in the lower part,left side and right side of the rectangular are set to 1Voltage and -1Voltage,respectively.Upper and lower sides are set 0Voltage.All the boundary are set to be electrical insulating.Temperature T, diffusion coefficient D,C1,,q,F,R are all given.

My first question is the coefficient PDE model seems like doesn't match my equation above,Because according to the template of coef PDE model,J is a source term,which doesn't make sence.Is it correct that I modified the equation to this form grad(J1)=0=grad(-D*(grad(C1)*(1+q*C1/(1-C1*q))+grad(U)*(F*C1/R*T)) so that I can match the template?

My second qustion is do I need to create two cofficient PDE model in order to express the electric field and concentration field separately?

I attached the reference paper if you are willing to see it in details.

I have been stucked in this problem for more than 1 month.
I will be appreciate if you could help me out!!!

3 Replies Last Post 8 juin 2013, 22:45 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mars 2013, 16:24 UTC−5
Can you use the NP equations interface rather than PDE model? Along with the diffusive and electrical flux term, you have an additional term which could be added as a source term (to preserve the overall structure of the equation).

If your electric field is not a constant and varying within your domain, then yes you need to model is separately.

Good Luck.
Can you use the NP equations interface rather than PDE model? Along with the diffusive and electrical flux term, you have an additional term which could be added as a source term (to preserve the overall structure of the equation). If your electric field is not a constant and varying within your domain, then yes you need to model is separately. Good Luck.

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mars 2013, 20:18 UTC−5
Thank you for answer my question. I was thinking if I should use a static electric model or a electric current model.Can I assume that the electric field does not change with respect to time
Thank you for answer my question. I was thinking if I should use a static electric model or a electric current model.Can I assume that the electric field does not change with respect to time

Jânio Anselmo Engenharia Biomédica

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 juin 2013, 22:45 UTC−4
Hi Yihua Luo,
You solved your problem? I've got a similar issue. If you can could help me?
Hi Yihua Luo, You solved your problem? I've got a similar issue. If you can could help me?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.