Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to implement a biphasic asymmetric waveform?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to implement a biphasic asymmetric waveform in Comsol 4.3a. I need to be able to use the following electrical simulator settings in order to stimulate an array of electrodes. Does anyone know how to do such a thing in Comsol? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the information for the 4 channel electrical stimulator settings:

Channels 1+2 output as one biphasic waveform:
Channel 1:
-- Pulse width = 0.160 msec
-- Pulse period = 10 msec
-- Amplitude = 10 V
Channel 2:
-- Pulse width = 5 msec
-- Amplitude = -0.32 V

Channels 3+4 output as one biphasic waveform:
Channel 3:
-- Pulse width = 5 msec
-- Amplitude = 0.32 V
Channel 4:
-- Pulse width = 0.160 msec
-- Amplitude = -10 V

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may be of some help for me on this topic. Thanks again!

5 Replies Last Post 23 août 2016, 05:45 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 févr. 2013, 10:59 UTC−5
Hi

I might not have really understood you, but in Definitions functons "rect" the rectangle function should allow you to define pulse width rise/fall time, amplitude, the with an analytical function calling this rect you can make it "periodic" (perhaps also directly with the rect, check the "sub tabs" I'm not by my COMSOl workstation.

You reeat the same for the second pulse, and then you call the different ports with a +/-ana1(t[1/s]) or +/-rect1(t[1/s]) and that should work, ... no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I might not have really understood you, but in Definitions functons "rect" the rectangle function should allow you to define pulse width rise/fall time, amplitude, the with an analytical function calling this rect you can make it "periodic" (perhaps also directly with the rect, check the "sub tabs" I'm not by my COMSOl workstation. You reeat the same for the second pulse, and then you call the different ports with a +/-ana1(t[1/s]) or +/-rect1(t[1/s]) and that should work, ... no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 févr. 2013, 17:30 UTC−5
Hi Ivar,

Thank you for your response. I tried using rectangle functions; however, there was no way that I could find in which to change the amplitude. I was able to change the pulse width and rise/fall time though.

After thinking about what you had said, I ended up using a series of step functions that I than added together in an analytic function. When I generate the plot, the waveform appears to be correct. Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Eric
Hi Ivar, Thank you for your response. I tried using rectangle functions; however, there was no way that I could find in which to change the amplitude. I was able to change the pulse width and rise/fall time though. After thinking about what you had said, I ended up using a series of step functions that I than added together in an analytic function. When I generate the plot, the waveform appears to be correct. Thanks for your help. Best regards, Eric

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 févr. 2013, 00:56 UTC−5
Hi

you can either multiply your rect1(...) function something like A0*rect1(...), or you could add an analytical function where you add the amplitude and call the rect1(...) function

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can either multiply your rect1(...) function something like A0*rect1(...), or you could add an analytical function where you add the amplitude and call the rect1(...) function -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 10 years ago 27 oct. 2014, 10:51 UTC−4
Hello Mr.Ivar,

Can you please help me in creation of new waveform. I would like to create a step function waveform to use it in analytic expression. We have only square, triangular, sawtooth and sine function wave forms in comsol. But I would like have only positive step function.

How can I create it. I tried in create plot, but I could not able to simulate it. Can you please help me out.

Thanking you.

Meera kunden
Hello Mr.Ivar, Can you please help me in creation of new waveform. I would like to create a step function waveform to use it in analytic expression. We have only square, triangular, sawtooth and sine function wave forms in comsol. But I would like have only positive step function. How can I create it. I tried in create plot, but I could not able to simulate it. Can you please help me out. Thanking you. Meera kunden

Posted: 8 years ago 23 août 2016, 05:45 UTC−4
Hello Meera Kunden,

I came to know that you were looking for ways to generate a positive step function waveform on the forum and i am working on a similar project.

Have you been able to generate it?
Would you like to share your knowledge?

Warm regards,
Nikita Bansal
Hello Meera Kunden, I came to know that you were looking for ways to generate a positive step function waveform on the forum and i am working on a similar project. Have you been able to generate it? Would you like to share your knowledge? Warm regards, Nikita Bansal

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.