Calculating Resistance without the AC/DC module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I am working on a problem where I am simulating this 2D metal sheet with various shapes cutout throughout it which changes it's resistance. When I was using the trial version that included the AC/DC module it was easy to calculate the resistance. I would run 10 amps through one side with the terminal boundary condition and then use global evaluation and ec2.R11 to find the overall resistance of the metal foil. However, in the full version, I currently do not have the AC/DC module (yet at least) and also need to calculate the resistance. I can use the electric potential boundary condition to set a voltage instead of using the terminal boundary condition. However, after the simulation runs I have not been able to find a way of calculating the resistance of the metal foil. Is it possible to do this calculation without the AC/DC module or would it be required?

2 Replies Last Post 12 sept. 2024, 15:25 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 days ago 12 sept. 2024, 14:53 UTC−4

Hi Alexander,

I am not sure if the basic module has the normal current density available. If yes, you can integrate it across the potential boundary to get the total current.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Alexander, I am not sure if the basic module has the normal current density available. If yes, you can integrate it across the potential boundary to get the total current. Cheers Edgar

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 days ago 12 sept. 2024, 15:25 UTC−4

Hi Alexander,

I am not sure if the basic module has the normal current density available. If yes, you can integrate it across the potential boundary to get the total current.

Cheers Edgar

OR write it out in terms of components.

>Hi Alexander, > >I am not sure if the basic module has the normal current density available. If yes, you can integrate it across the potential boundary to get the total current. > >Cheers >Edgar OR write it out in terms of components.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.