Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Input Port Excitation Power for 2D RF Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm having difficulty understanding exactly what the input power is for the port in the RF module in COMSOL 4.3. The unit is declared as watt, but unless there's some predefined thickness, the unit doesn't make sense (I would expect watt/m).

Just as an example, I tried simulating a silicon waveguide and set a line integration variable on the input where I measured the emw.Poavx (perpendicular to the line) at different lines on the waveguide and multiplied this value (which is in watt/m) by my expected thickness and got values that were much smaller than what I expected for what I put in as my input power.

Does this mean that the unit for input power in the port excitation is in fact watt/m? If so, that would explain some discrepancies in my other results I've been simulating.

3 Replies Last Post 22 mars 2017, 11:40 UTC−4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 janv. 2013, 13:06 UTC−5
Input power in 2D is defined per unit thickness, t.e. per 1m thickness in the out-of plane direction:

n.Pav=P0[W]/b[m]/1[m],

where

Pav[W/m^2] is Poynting vector, b is port width, and n is the unit vector to the port.

For TE mode, port field amplitude is calculated based on the specified port power P0 as following:

n.Pav=|E|^2/(2*Z_TE), where Z_TE=omega*mu/beta => |E|=sqrt(2*Z_TE*P0[W]/b[m]/1[m]).

For TM mode, port field amplitude is calculated based on the specified port power P0 as following:

n.Pav=|nxE|^2/(2*Z_TM), where Z_TM =beta/omega/epsilon => |E|=sqrt(2*Z_TM* P0[W]/b[m]/1[m]).

where beta is propagation constant NORMAL to the port boundary.

One should be very careful if port input wave is oblique.

Regards,
Sergei
Input power in 2D is defined per unit thickness, t.e. per 1m thickness in the out-of plane direction: n.Pav=P0[W]/b[m]/1[m], where Pav[W/m^2] is Poynting vector, b is port width, and n is the unit vector to the port. For TE mode, port field amplitude is calculated based on the specified port power P0 as following: n.Pav=|E|^2/(2*Z_TE), where Z_TE=omega*mu/beta => |E|=sqrt(2*Z_TE*P0[W]/b[m]/1[m]). For TM mode, port field amplitude is calculated based on the specified port power P0 as following: n.Pav=|nxE|^2/(2*Z_TM), where Z_TM =beta/omega/epsilon => |E|=sqrt(2*Z_TM* P0[W]/b[m]/1[m]). where beta is propagation constant NORMAL to the port boundary. One should be very careful if port input wave is oblique. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 févr. 2013, 22:39 UTC−5
And what about for 3D normal excitation? If I have a port of known area a [m^2] and input irradiance I [W/m^2], am I correct in using Pin=a*I [W] ?

I'm running 4.3a and getting some funny results, I just want to check that the input power of a port BC is defined as I expect it to be. Excitation is linearly polarised

And what about for 3D normal excitation? If I have a port of known area a [m^2] and input irradiance I [W/m^2], am I correct in using Pin=a*I [W] ? I'm running 4.3a and getting some funny results, I just want to check that the input power of a port BC is defined as I expect it to be. Excitation is linearly polarised

Posted: 7 years ago 22 mars 2017, 11:40 UTC−4
Great Answer Sergei! Very helpful. Thanks for posting.
Great Answer Sergei! Very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.