Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer / convergence problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have a heat transfer problem where I am trying to solve movements and temperature in oil due to a submerged heat source. It seems that the convergence is a problem. There are several solvers which I tried but not with success.
Is there anybody who can recommend the apropriate solver and parameters for this problem?
Thanks in advance
Kamil

2 Replies Last Post 7 déc. 2012, 06:15 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2012, 05:28 UTC−5
I meant the several solver options existing in Comsol.
I meant the several solver options existing in Comsol.

Bertil Nistad COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2012, 06:15 UTC−5
Dear Kamil,
there are several things to consider when working with natural convection, so I suggest that you use the tutorials in the heat transfer module as a basis. For example circuit board_nat 2d/3 or light bulb.

Also, you are welcome to send the model that you are working with to support@comsol.com, and we will help you out with suggestions.

Note that COMSOL tries to find the optimal solver for your kind of physics. This means that in most cases the convergence problem is not within the solver. It may be due to too coarse mesh, or maybe there does not even exist a stable stationary solution for your model. Working with such highly nonlinear models requires some careful considerations and experience, so I'd be happy to help you out at support@comsol.com

Best regards
Bertil Nistad
COMSOL Norway
Dear Kamil, there are several things to consider when working with natural convection, so I suggest that you use the tutorials in the heat transfer module as a basis. For example circuit board_nat 2d/3 or light bulb. Also, you are welcome to send the model that you are working with to support@comsol.com, and we will help you out with suggestions. Note that COMSOL tries to find the optimal solver for your kind of physics. This means that in most cases the convergence problem is not within the solver. It may be due to too coarse mesh, or maybe there does not even exist a stable stationary solution for your model. Working with such highly nonlinear models requires some careful considerations and experience, so I'd be happy to help you out at support@comsol.com Best regards Bertil Nistad COMSOL Norway

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.