Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to turn bézier curves into surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

is it possible to turn a bézier curve into a surface which can be extruded?

Thank you for your help.
Sandra

4 Replies Last Post 7 déc. 2012, 03:53 UTC−5
Winfried COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 nov. 2012, 08:17 UTC−5
Hi,

I am not 100% sure what you would like to generate. This is how I interpreted it:

1-) In a 3D geometry, right-click the Geometry 1 -node and add a workplane.
2-) Right-click Model 1>Geometry 1>Work Plane 1>Plane Geometry and add a Bézier-Polygon which can be piecewise linear, quadratic or cubic. (screenshot1.png). If you would like this curve to be closed (to be a surface), just change the type.
3-) Right-click Workplane 1 and choose Extrude -> You have a surface (solid, if you chose closed and solid in 2-)) in 3D.

If you are looking for topographical maps, please check model www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3807/

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Winfried
Hi, I am not 100% sure what you would like to generate. This is how I interpreted it: 1-) In a 3D geometry, right-click the Geometry 1 -node and add a workplane. 2-) Right-click Model 1>Geometry 1>Work Plane 1>Plane Geometry and add a Bézier-Polygon which can be piecewise linear, quadratic or cubic. (screenshot1.png). If you would like this curve to be closed (to be a surface), just change the type. 3-) Right-click Workplane 1 and choose Extrude -> You have a surface (solid, if you chose closed and solid in 2-)) in 3D. If you are looking for topographical maps, please check model http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/3807/ Hope that helps. Regards, Winfried

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 nov. 2012, 10:17 UTC−5
Ey,

when you are in the Bezier Polygon, in the settings window (the one in the middle of the screen), on the top, just under "general", it says "Type", and you can choose Solid, Open Curve, and Closed Curve.

That is what you want
Ey, when you are in the Bezier Polygon, in the settings window (the one in the middle of the screen), on the top, just under "general", it says "Type", and you can choose Solid, Open Curve, and Closed Curve. That is what you want

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 nov. 2012, 10:18 UTC−5
Well, choose Solid ;-)
Well, choose Solid ;-)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2012, 03:53 UTC−5
Thank you both. It's exactly the thing I was looking for. I just forgot to use a workplane.

Regards
Sandra

Thank you both. It's exactly the thing I was looking for. I just forgot to use a workplane. Regards Sandra

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.