Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2d vs 3d transport of diluted species concentration in microfluidic module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I need help in a 2d vs 3d model. i am simulating a microchannel and using the microfluidic module. I use the transport of diluted species to see the concetntration profile. I use both 2d and 3d simulations. When i do the 2d vs 3d i see the concentration profiles are virtually similar. In 2d you dont put the height of the channel, does comsol assume any 2d model and does the simulation assuming its in 3d space and makes a 3d profile? 1st image is 2d and other two are 3d

1 Reply Last Post 8 févr. 2023, 10:58 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 year ago 8 févr. 2023, 10:58 UTC−5

Hello Bhuvan,

A 2D model assumes that there is no dependency of the inputs and outputs with the third direction.

A 3D model solves for the full 3D equations, without making any such assumption. But if your inputs to a 3D model are independent of the third dicrection then it is entirely possible, even likely, that the solution will be independent of the third direction.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Bhuvan, A 2D model assumes that there is no dependency of the inputs and outputs with the third direction. A 3D model solves for the full 3D equations, without making any such assumption. But if your inputs to a 3D model are independent of the third dicrection then it is entirely possible, even likely, that the solution will be independent of the third direction. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.