Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling Damage Phase Field and Adhesion/Decohesion for simulating crack propagation with debonding

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating crack propagation in composite where particles are distributed in matrix. In experiment I noticed particle debonding with crack branching, pinning, and propagation. Now I want to simulate that with phase field model which does not account for particle debonding. Should I use contact pair - adhesion/decohesion for considering particle debonding? Will that work directly or do I need to modify anything?

2 Replies Last Post 26 janv. 2023, 17:31 UTC−5

Posted: 1 year ago 21 janv. 2023, 13:41 UTC−5

overview of the process:

Create a 3D model of the structure in the COMSOL Model Builder, and define the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions.

Add the Solid Mechanics interface to the model to simulate the mechanical behavior of the structure.

Add the Phase Field Damage interface to the model to simulate crack propagation. This interface uses a scalar field variable, called the phase field, to represent the crack.

Add the Adhesion/Decohesion interface to the model to simulate the debonding behavior of the structure. This interface uses a scalar field variable, called the decohesion field, to represent the debonding.

Couple the Solid Mechanics, Phase Field Damage, and Adhesion/Decohesion interfaces to simulate the simultaneous effects of mechanical loading, crack propagation, and debonding.

Solve the model and post-process the results to analyze the crack propagation and debonding behavior of the structure.

overview of the process: Create a 3D model of the structure in the COMSOL Model Builder, and define the geometry, material properties, and boundary conditions. Add the Solid Mechanics interface to the model to simulate the mechanical behavior of the structure. Add the Phase Field Damage interface to the model to simulate crack propagation. This interface uses a scalar field variable, called the phase field, to represent the crack. Add the Adhesion/Decohesion interface to the model to simulate the debonding behavior of the structure. This interface uses a scalar field variable, called the decohesion field, to represent the debonding. Couple the Solid Mechanics, Phase Field Damage, and Adhesion/Decohesion interfaces to simulate the simultaneous effects of mechanical loading, crack propagation, and debonding. Solve the model and post-process the results to analyze the crack propagation and debonding behavior of the structure.

Posted: 1 year ago 26 janv. 2023, 17:31 UTC−5
Updated: 1 year ago 26 janv. 2023, 17:32 UTC−5

Thank you for your suggestion. You stated "Couple the Solid Mechanics, Phase Field Damage, and Adhesion/Decohesion interfaces". Is there any way to couple these? Because I followed all the steps described but the solution did not converge. Received this message " Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step. In Displacement Field: Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned"

Thank you for your suggestion. You stated "Couple the Solid Mechanics, Phase Field Damage, and Adhesion/Decohesion interfaces". Is there any way to couple these? Because I followed all the steps described but the solution did not converge. Received this message " Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1) Failed to find a solution for all parameters, even when using the minimum parameter step. In Displacement Field: Maximum number of Newton iterations reached. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned"

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.