Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modeling evanescent wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
How to generate or simulate evanescent wave in COMSOL? can total internal reflection work? There seems to be rare examples in this field and expect for any ideas from you.

4 Replies Last Post 4 avr. 2013, 14:37 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 août 2012, 19:25 UTC−4
Yes, evanescent waves can be simulated using total internal reflection. Build a model with thin dielectric slab in air, launch plane wave at oblique angle, and watch the evanescent waves to propagate through the slab.
Yes, evanescent waves can be simulated using total internal reflection. Build a model with thin dielectric slab in air, launch plane wave at oblique angle, and watch the evanescent waves to propagate through the slab.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 déc. 2012, 10:48 UTC−5
Hi,

I am also trying for the same...

But yet not able to figure out....

If you have any idea just let me know

Hi, I am also trying for the same... But yet not able to figure out.... If you have any idea just let me know

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 mars 2013, 20:38 UTC−4
Hi,

For the evanescent waves simulation. How to launch the plane wave? How to set the boundary conditions (periodic and scattering boundary conditions)? Thank you very much for your help!

Best,
Yan
Hi, For the evanescent waves simulation. How to launch the plane wave? How to set the boundary conditions (periodic and scattering boundary conditions)? Thank you very much for your help! Best, Yan

Constantinos Tsangarides

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 avr. 2013, 14:37 UTC−4
If somebody found out how to shine planar waves at an angle and being polarised in one direction please let me know!

Do you use Ports or Scattered Boundary Condition?
If somebody found out how to shine planar waves at an angle and being polarised in one direction please let me know! Do you use Ports or Scattered Boundary Condition?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.