Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Half-Omnidirectional radiation pattern

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I would like to create a half omnidirectional RF pattern with COMSOL as if it was made with a half sphere launching down rays in several directions. I ignore if it can be done directly with RF Module.

If not, I would like to know which antenna(s) can resemble more accurately this half omnidirectional pattern.

Thank you so much

4 Replies Last Post 6 juin 2022, 10:09 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 26 mai 2022, 10:55 UTC−4
Updated: 2 years ago 26 mai 2022, 11:06 UTC−4

There exist no single isotropic antennas, but a simple dipole will provide you with an omni-azimuthal pattern. Perhaps a simple horizontally-oriented dipole might be adequate for your needs? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_antenna . Alternatively, you could consider a low-gain horn antenna, or even just define a small area on your computational boundary as a port, and then radiate from it. You didn't mention polarization, or the angular distribution of the polarization that is of interest to you. If you are entirely not interested in the polarization, then perhaps you shouldn't be using the RF module at all, but might want to consider formulating your problem in terms of a scalar wave, like an acoustic wave. (For an acoustic wave, you can very easily generate the field distribution you mentioned.) See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotropic_radiator . Anyway, if you can tell the community here more about what you actually want to accomplish, you may get more helpful answers.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There exist no single isotropic antennas, but a simple dipole will provide you with an omni-azimuthal pattern. Perhaps a simple horizontally-oriented dipole might be adequate for your needs? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnidirectional_antenna . Alternatively, you could consider a low-gain horn antenna, or even just define a small area on your computational boundary as a port, and then radiate from it. You didn't mention polarization, or the angular distribution of the polarization that is of interest to you. If you are entirely *not* interested in the polarization, then perhaps you shouldn't be using the RF module at all, but might want to consider formulating your problem in terms of a scalar wave, like an acoustic wave. (For an acoustic wave, you can very easily generate the field distribution you mentioned.) See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotropic_radiator . Anyway, if you can tell the community here more about what you actually want to accomplish, you may get more helpful answers.

Posted: 2 years ago 2 juin 2022, 09:53 UTC−4

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually trying to recreate a dual linear polarized RFID reader, at UHF frequency as shown in the image below. The radiation pattern is circular so you should be able to see that no matter the angle. I only have RF module on my licence at work, and I cannot install anything else at the moment, but something could be done with it.

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually trying to recreate a dual linear polarized RFID reader, at UHF frequency as shown in the image below. The radiation pattern is circular so you should be able to see that no matter the angle. I only have RF module on my licence at work, and I cannot install anything else at the moment, but something could be done with it.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 2 juin 2022, 12:42 UTC−4

Pablo,

sounds like a circular or linear polarized patch antenna is what you want. I think there is an example in the application library.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Pablo, sounds like a circular or linear polarized patch antenna is what you want. I think there is an example in the application library. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 6 juin 2022, 10:09 UTC−4

Indeed! The circularly polarized antenna example of the library suits me very well. I'll let you know if any other issue comes up.

Thank you!

Indeed! The circularly polarized antenna example of the library suits me very well. I'll let you know if any other issue comes up. Thank you!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.