Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to draw a spherical dome?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am very new to Comsol. I am trying to draw a three dimensional spherical dome and mate it with a rectangular box. I have successfully drawn the box with a circular opening on one face. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to the right direction.

Thanks in advance

Amar

4 Replies Last Post 16 août 2012, 05:42 UTC−4
Konstantin Barzilovich

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2012, 02:10 UTC−4
As I understand, you need to use some boolean operations with your geometry objects. Right click on Geometry 1, Boolean operations.
As I understand, you need to use some boolean operations with your geometry objects. Right click on Geometry 1, Boolean operations.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2012, 03:48 UTC−4
Hi

my suggestions would be:

2D shell (in 3D): draw a sphere and a block intersecting, then subtract the block from the sphere, convert to 2D shell

3D solid: draw 2 spheres, concentric for inner and outer boundaries (difference = thickness), thena block to intercept, take the difference "outer sphere" - "inner sphere" - "block"

2* alternative one sphere with a layer, subtract the block, delete unwanted entities for inner domains

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my suggestions would be: 2D shell (in 3D): draw a sphere and a block intersecting, then subtract the block from the sphere, convert to 2D shell 3D solid: draw 2 spheres, concentric for inner and outer boundaries (difference = thickness), thena block to intercept, take the difference "outer sphere" - "inner sphere" - "block" 2* alternative one sphere with a layer, subtract the block, delete unwanted entities for inner domains -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 août 2012, 19:24 UTC−4
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone! I was able to create the desired geometry thanks to your tips. I truly appreciate your help.

Amar
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone! I was able to create the desired geometry thanks to your tips. I truly appreciate your help. Amar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 août 2012, 05:42 UTC−4
Dear all

I want to draw a spherical dome but in 2D axisymmetric mode (i.e a 2D dome) can somebody guide me how can it be drawn in comsol 3.5a. Actually the dimensions of this dome are in micrometers (height = 297micrometer and base radius = 25micrometer).

Thanks
Dear all I want to draw a spherical dome but in 2D axisymmetric mode (i.e a 2D dome) can somebody guide me how can it be drawn in comsol 3.5a. Actually the dimensions of this dome are in micrometers (height = 297micrometer and base radius = 25micrometer). Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.