Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid flow and mass transfer modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am simulating a 2-D chamber containing water with no initial CO2 concentration and a headspace with the laminal flow of CO2 entering from the top. The CO2 flow enters the chamber with a normal flow velocity of Uin (m/s) and an inflow concentration of Cin (mol/m3). This laminar flow is going to reach the interface and then diffuse to the water. No mass transfer resistance is assumed at the interface. So, the interface reaches the equilibrium right away, obeying Henry’s law. The CO2 concentration is required to be tracked at each time in both water and headspace.

I am using the laminar flow module for the headspace and the Transport of diluted species module for both water and headspace. For the laminar flow module, the leaking wall is used as the boundary condition at the interface and the fluid velocity is set to the components of the velocity profile, (u,v).

For the Transport of diluted species modules, it is considered that the mass transfer in the headspace is done just by convection, setting the diffusion coefficient to zero, and in water by diffusion, setting the diffusion coefficient to D.

However, I am not sure about the boundary conditions at the interface for the Transport of diluted species modules. It should be in a way that considers both the convection (v*C) and Henry’s law, the jump of the concentrations at the interface.

Any suggestions and ideas are really appreciated!

0 Replies Last Post 14 févr. 2022, 08:03 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sara Esmaeilian

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.