Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating a strip of a certain thickness along the inside of a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a highly abstract, 2D polygon boundary that forms a closed loop and wish to create a second boundary of a specific thickness around the inside of it. Similar to scaling, except instead of a proportion of the geometry size there is a fixed thickness between any point in the original and its respective point in the new boundary.

is there anything I could use to reliably achieve that?

1 Reply Last Post 18 nov. 2021, 09:26 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 18 nov. 2021, 09:26 UTC−5
Updated: 3 years ago 18 nov. 2021, 11:24 UTC−5

Hello William,

Version 6.0, which is due shortly, will include a 2D thickening operation, which if I understand your post correctly is what you are looking for. I am attaching a screenshot showing its application on the inside and outside of a square.

A 3D thickening operation currently already exists in the optional Design Module, see this page for more information on that product. If you do have the Design Module, you can also probably achieve what you want in 2D using constraints (I don't use that product myself, so forgive my tentativeness on this).

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello William, Version 6.0, which is due shortly, will include a 2D thickening operation, which if I understand your post correctly is what you are looking for. I am attaching a screenshot showing its application on the inside and outside of a square. A 3D thickening operation currently already exists in the optional Design Module, see [this page](https://www.comsol.com/design-module) for more information on that product. If you do have the Design Module, you can also probably achieve what you want in 2D using constraints (I don't use that product myself, so forgive my tentativeness on this). Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.