Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electric current and heat transfer modules coupling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a question regarding a model I am trying to bulid. I would like to couple Electric current and heat transfer modules to solve a problem. The physics of my problem has two equations which I have them in image one (Eq.2, and Eq.3). However, when I compare them with comsol equations, the electric current looks like my current equation (Eq.2), but the hea transfer module does not have the term associated (sigma/roCp)(gradient potential)^2. Instead comsol has roCpu. (gradient temperature). I was wondering if I am making a mistake? how can I tackle this problem. Thank you so much.

1 Reply Last Post 26 juin 2021, 23:06 UTC−4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 26 juin 2021, 23:06 UTC−4

Hi Koorosh,

The extra u term in the COMSOL equation is for the advection term in case you have flow through your structure. That should be zero in your case. The missing term you’re looking for involving the electrical heat source is there, but not explicitly written in the COMSOL GUI equation. It’s in the Q term on the right hand side of the heat equation. If you search the COMSOL documentation you’ll find that Q=J.E. You can see that when you look for the Help (F1) on the Electromagnetic Heating Multiphysics node, and also when you expand the actual equations in COMSOL’s Equation View.

I hope this helps!

Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Hi Koorosh, The extra u term in the COMSOL equation is for the advection term in case you have flow through your structure. That should be zero in your case. The missing term you’re looking for involving the electrical heat source is there, but not explicitly written in the COMSOL GUI equation. It’s in the Q term on the right hand side of the heat equation. If you search the COMSOL documentation you’ll find that Q=J.E. You can see that when you look for the Help (F1) on the Electromagnetic Heating Multiphysics node, and also when you expand the actual equations in COMSOL’s Equation View. I hope this helps! Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.