Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using COMSOL for inertial (dynamic) MEMS Development

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am interested in the development of inertial mems like accelerometers and gyros. I was wondering if anyone has first hand experience in developing dynamic inertial MEMS devices using COMSOL. What aspects of your devices have you been able to simulate (static, dynamic & electrical) ? Can one perform all the related simulations as with Ansys (which aspects)? How do they compare (incl. results) ?

Many thanks in advance!

Vinodh R

1 Reply Last Post 26 janv. 2010, 03:25 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 janv. 2010, 03:25 UTC−5
Hi

I have done about everything (and more than with other tools) so far for mems and other larger structures and to now I have found no major discrepancies, in fact I havnt checked COMSOL results agains other FEM tools for a years time as I trust it fully.

I'm only missing structual eigenmode mass participations factors that are NOT readily calculated by COMSOL as with ASNSYS or NASTRAN or COSMOS or... but I expect this to come in V4.

But still, the most common errors/discrepancies, by far, are wrong BC's and not wrong FEM tool calculations.

Good luck with COMSOL ;)
Ivar
Hi I have done about everything (and more than with other tools) so far for mems and other larger structures and to now I have found no major discrepancies, in fact I havnt checked COMSOL results agains other FEM tools for a years time as I trust it fully. I'm only missing structual eigenmode mass participations factors that are NOT readily calculated by COMSOL as with ASNSYS or NASTRAN or COSMOS or... but I expect this to come in V4. But still, the most common errors/discrepancies, by far, are wrong BC's and not wrong FEM tool calculations. Good luck with COMSOL ;) Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.