Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol contact model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello I am trying to implement a contact in 3d and I am having a lot of trouble if anyone could help me that would be great. So the goal is to model a 3d non axisymetric problem, but as a debugging tool, I am trying to get the 3d version of the axisymetric problem to align with the 2d axisymetric problem. So far I have had no sucess. In the 3d case the source always penetrates the destination. I have tried many things to prevent this like increasing the penalty factor to prevent intersection, adding a spring foundation with a ramping load, and various other things. I am completely stumped and any help would be much appreciated. In Folder you can find all the files. I also uploaded them in the drag and drop. 2d axis symmetric is the axis symmetric comsol model. 3dcircledem is the same problem but implemented in 3d, it isn't working , and 3d model is our desired 3d contact model that isn't quite working. I have no clue why this isn't working I implemented the 3dcircle dem model in the exact same way as the 2d axis symmetric case with similar mesh and the 3d model is obviously wrong. My mechanics professor also took a look at it and neither of us could find anything that was wrong. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what we're doing wrong or resources for solving the contact problem in 3d.

0 Replies Last Post 12 déc. 2020, 17:05 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shaun Fedrick

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.