Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot the average value of a parameter across a geometry component

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have used COMSOL (5.3a) to solve a time-dependent 3D heat transfer model. I am trying to plot the average temperature of a specific object in my geometry over time. A 2D graph, with time on the x-axis and temperature (averaged) on y-axis. Can someone explain how to do this?

I have done something similarly but plotted temperature at a point, using a point probe described here. Is the solution similar?

Thanks for your help everyone.

3 Replies Last Post 31 août 2020, 16:32 UTC−4

Posted: 4 years ago 31 août 2020, 13:02 UTC−4

Hello,

You can define an Average operator in your model under Definitions->Nonlocal Couplings->Average. You can then select the geometry in which you want to take the average and the operator will be available in the postprocessing.

Cheers,

Alex

Hello, You can define an Average operator in your model under Definitions->Nonlocal Couplings->Average. You can then select the geometry in which you want to take the average and the operator will be available in the postprocessing. Cheers, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago 31 août 2020, 15:32 UTC−4

Thank you for responding Alexandre I appreciate since I am a super beginner. I did what you mentioned. Unlike the point probe, the average temperature plot does not automatically generate after I compute the solution. How would I then plot the results? Sorry for asking basic questions.

Thank you for responding Alexandre I appreciate since I am a super beginner. I did what you mentioned. Unlike the point probe, the average temperature plot does not automatically generate after I compute the solution. How would I then plot the results? Sorry for asking basic questions.

Posted: 4 years ago 31 août 2020, 16:32 UTC−4

Hi Vivek,

You should definitely check out the documentation and some tutorials. As for your question, simply right click on the Results node and add a 1D plot group. Then, right click your 1D plot group and add a Global node to enter your expression, which would be something like aveop1(T), where aveop1 is the average operator and T is the temperature variable.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Vivek, You should definitely check out the documentation and some tutorials. As for your question, simply right click on the Results node and add a 1D plot group. Then, right click your 1D plot group and add a Global node to enter your expression, which would be something like aveop1(T), where aveop1 is the average operator and T is the temperature variable. Cheers, Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.