Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

SOC of an expanding battery

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi community,

I'm working with a Lithium-Ion Battery in 2D. Now I'm simulating the thermal expansion of the components, by using a moving mesh. This expansion happens during the charge of the battery in a time dependent study.

The expansion of the electrodes works fine. I can plot the deformed geometry by plotting the data set edges in the spatial frame of reference (x,y).

Then I try to plot the SOC (state of charge), by using the expression: liion.socloc_surface. This is the Local electrode material state-of-charge, particle surface.

The problems is that the SOC is plotted only in the area of the non-deformed geometry. It does not cover the area where the electrodes expanded. It seems that the expression of the SOC it is not evaluated in the spatial frame of reference (x,y). (See attached picture)

Do you have any ideas how to evaluate the SOC in the deformed geometry?

Thank you for your comments!

2 Replies Last Post 28 juil. 2020, 17:17 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 27 juil. 2020, 02:06 UTC−4
Updated: 4 years ago 27 juil. 2020, 07:46 UTC−4

Check the setting of the frame in the corresponding Dataset node.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Check the setting of the frame in the corresponding Dataset node.

Posted: 4 years ago 28 juil. 2020, 17:17 UTC−4

That was exactly the solution for this problem, thank you very much for your help Mr. Sönnerlind!

As a reference, I attach a picture with the SOC plotted in the deformed geometry.

Best regards.

That was exactly the solution for this problem, thank you very much for your help Mr. Sönnerlind! As a reference, I attach a picture with the SOC plotted in the deformed geometry. Best regards.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.