Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductance and magnetic field of spiral coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate the magnetic field of a flat spiral coil and calculate it's inductance, I've built a 3D model using parameteric equation and sweep, When using the stationary study the inductance value is close to the measuerd one (simulated: 8uH, measuerd: 7.3uH) However, when using the frequency domain the calculated inductance is -9.8!!! is there any explination for that?

Also, the simulated and measuerd values of magnetic field are slightly different especially -and more significantly - at small distance from the coil (attached figure) .. what is the expected discrepency between the measuered and simulated fields?

Thanks,

1 Reply Last Post 25 juil. 2020, 12:01 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 25 juil. 2020, 12:01 UTC−4

There are at least several possibilities. I encourage you to post your model to the forum so that others can examine it and identify any problems or mistakes in it. You might also want to describe your physical experiment in some detail too, since sometimes experimental measurements can have sources of error as well.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
There are at least several possibilities. I encourage you to post your model to the forum so that others can examine it and identify any problems or mistakes in it. You might also want to describe your physical experiment in some detail too, since sometimes experimental measurements can have sources of error as well.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.