Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

abort plotting process

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

There have been many times where I've increased the resolution of a plot, and the rendering time takes way too long. Is there a way to kill the plotting process so I don't have to wait two years to redraw or have to kill COMSOL through Windows Task Manager? Yes, saving before I do anything would mean not losing work, but with the model I'm currently working on it takes many minutes to save, which makes constant saving very inconvenient.

Cheers,
James

6 Replies Last Post 17 janv. 2017, 19:16 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 14:58 UTC−5
Hi

not from my knowledge, I would also uggest to be able to abort a Derived Values calculation (easy to forget to ask for only the first of a long list, again that can take ages.

Curently I'm aonly aware of the solver "stop" and red ring "interrupt"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi not from my knowledge, I would also uggest to be able to abort a Derived Values calculation (easy to forget to ask for only the first of a long list, again that can take ages. Curently I'm aonly aware of the solver "stop" and red ring "interrupt" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 19:51 UTC−5
Both of these would be extremely helpful.

Also auto-replotting feature is sometimes very annoying. There should be an option to disable it.
Both of these would be extremely helpful. Also auto-replotting feature is sometimes very annoying. There should be an option to disable it.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 21:13 UTC−5
In regard to stopping the automatic plotting/re-plotting process: In version 4.2a, you might want to consider turning off "Update Plot when selected." This option can be found by choosing "Options," then "Preferences," then select "Results" from the list, and then uncheck the box that says "Update Plot when selected".

Again, this doesn't abort a long plotting process, but it will prevent time-consuming plots from happening automatically. You can still specifically tell it to plot when you want, by clicking on the plot button, for any particular plot.
In regard to stopping the automatic plotting/re-plotting process: In version 4.2a, you might want to consider turning off "Update Plot when selected." This option can be found by choosing "Options," then "Preferences," then select "Results" from the list, and then uncheck the box that says "Update Plot when selected". Again, this doesn't abort a long plotting process, but it will prevent time-consuming plots from happening automatically. You can still specifically tell it to plot when you want, by clicking on the plot button, for any particular plot.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 févr. 2012, 00:56 UTC−5
Hi

indeed the auto-plotting is a feature to stop when working on heavy models
remains how to stop a complex plotting or loo00ong derived value calculation ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed the auto-plotting is a feature to stop when working on heavy models remains how to stop a complex plotting or loo00ong derived value calculation ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 13 janv. 2017, 13:51 UTC−5
Seems like they removed the option to disable automatic plotting (at least by 5.2a). Now the only related items in preferences that I can find are to disable automatic update of plots for 'new models' and 'models loaded from file'. I have those checkboxes checked, but COMSOL still takes forever to refresh the plots with a lot of data points and sometimes for no reason at all! For example, I turn on legends and it takes 2 minutes to refresh the plots. I turn the legend label setting to manual and again a 2 minute refresh. Then I type in a label for that particular graph and again 2 minutes. The ridiculous part is that the progress window shows that COMSOL is evaluating all involved data sets just because I turned on legends. At least bring back the option to disable automatic plotting for all or specific plots, please.
Seems like they removed the option to disable automatic plotting (at least by 5.2a). Now the only related items in preferences that I can find are to disable automatic update of plots for 'new models' and 'models loaded from file'. I have those checkboxes checked, but COMSOL still takes forever to refresh the plots with a lot of data points and sometimes for no reason at all! For example, I turn on legends and it takes 2 minutes to refresh the plots. I turn the legend label setting to manual and again a 2 minute refresh. Then I type in a label for that particular graph and again 2 minutes. The ridiculous part is that the progress window shows that COMSOL is evaluating all involved data sets just because I turned on legends. At least bring back the option to disable automatic plotting for all or specific plots, please.

Posted: 8 years ago 17 janv. 2017, 19:16 UTC−5

Nvm. The above setting does stop automatic plotting. I just had to restart COMSOL after changing the settings.
[QUOTE] Seems like they removed the option to disable automatic plotting (at least by 5.2a). Now the only related items in preferences that I can find are to disable automatic update of plots for 'new models' and 'models loaded from file'. I have those checkboxes checked, but COMSOL still takes forever to refresh the plots with a lot of data points and sometimes for no reason at all! For example, I turn on legends and it takes 2 minutes to refresh the plots. I turn the legend label setting to manual and again a 2 minute refresh. Then I type in a label for that particular graph and again 2 minutes. The ridiculous part is that the progress window shows that COMSOL is evaluating all involved data sets just because I turned on legends. At least bring back the option to disable automatic plotting for all or specific plots, please. [/QUOTE] Nvm. The above setting does stop automatic plotting. I just had to restart COMSOL after changing the settings.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.