Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to draw a block with rounded corner in geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am trying to draw a round corner cuboid in Comsol 4.2, it will be like a geometry between a cylinder and a block.

I saw somewhere saied "round the corner with fillet radius", but do not know how to actually make it. I tried making several cylinders and a block, and make boolean calculation, but it does not come out a satisfied result. Can anybody give me a way out, let me know the specific procedure of doing this?

Thanks!!

5 Replies Last Post 3 oct. 2016, 19:38 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 févr. 2012, 20:11 UTC−5
Hi.
There isn't a direct 3D fillet tool, but it usually isn't too hard to make a rounded corner in 3D, even if it can be a bit tedious. Here's one way: First, create the box (with sharp corners) of interest. Second, create a small sphere that is tangent to all three faces at the corner (i.e., inside the box) of interest, and has the radius of curvature you want. Third, create another (smaller) cube that is centered on the same corner, and has an edge length equal to the sphere's diameter. Now, using boolean operations, subtract the sphere from the second cube. This yields a shape with a spherical depression in it, positioned at the corner of the box. Now subtract that shape from the box. This yields your original box but with a rounded corner. You can use various cut, paste, rotate, and mirror commands to speed up the process of doing this at other corners. Another, somewhat different way, is to use workplanes and revolve filleted corners from 2D to 3D. But it can take multiple workplanes and boolean operations to do it that way too.
Hi. There isn't a direct 3D fillet tool, but it usually isn't too hard to make a rounded corner in 3D, even if it can be a bit tedious. Here's one way: First, create the box (with sharp corners) of interest. Second, create a small sphere that is tangent to all three faces at the corner (i.e., inside the box) of interest, and has the radius of curvature you want. Third, create another (smaller) cube that is centered on the same corner, and has an edge length equal to the sphere's diameter. Now, using boolean operations, subtract the sphere from the second cube. This yields a shape with a spherical depression in it, positioned at the corner of the box. Now subtract that shape from the box. This yields your original box but with a rounded corner. You can use various cut, paste, rotate, and mirror commands to speed up the process of doing this at other corners. Another, somewhat different way, is to use workplanes and revolve filleted corners from 2D to 3D. But it can take multiple workplanes and boolean operations to do it that way too.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 févr. 2012, 17:40 UTC−5
Hi

there was also this discussion some time ago (use the search on the Forum)

www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/18041/

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there was also this discussion some time ago (use the search on the Forum) http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/thread/18041/ -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 févr. 2012, 17:59 UTC−5
Thanks for your help and link, I figured out it is quite easy, just develop a workplane, draw a rectangle, fillet the corner with certain radius by clicking the nodes, and then extrude to a certain height.

It really heps! Thanks you all!!
Thanks for your help and link, I figured out it is quite easy, just develop a workplane, draw a rectangle, fillet the corner with certain radius by clicking the nodes, and then extrude to a certain height. It really heps! Thanks you all!!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 4 déc. 2015, 09:36 UTC−5
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module
Best,
Jeff
Update on this thread: Nowadays COMSOL does include a direct 3D filleting capability in the Design Module. See www.comsol.com/design-module Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 3 oct. 2016, 19:38 UTC−4
Yeah -- I did the stem on this bike handlebar+stem this way (combing cylinders and blocks) since we lack the design module, and I can't justify to the department getting it just for this feature (note I'm not supposed to be modeling bike parts: that's just self-educational, or something :)). It is too bad fillet is rolled into the design module and not basic geometry, but I know how that goes.

i.imgur.com/dlpXLJZ.png
Yeah -- I did the stem on this bike handlebar+stem this way (combing cylinders and blocks) since we lack the design module, and I can't justify to the department getting it just for this feature (note I'm not supposed to be modeling bike parts: that's just self-educational, or something :)). It is too bad fillet is rolled into the design module and not basic geometry, but I know how that goes. http://i.imgur.com/dlpXLJZ.png

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.