Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer in solid, pulse

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am simulating pulsed laser material interaction. When th pulse duration is in milisecond range, I would get reasonable resutls. I mean as it would be expected the heat will be dropped down in off time of pulse. However, when I go to nanosecond and microsecond range, the heat won't drop down in off time (see attached figures).

I highly apprecaite if anyone has any suggestion.

1 Reply Last Post 7 mai 2020, 11:59 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 7 mai 2020, 11:59 UTC−4

Hello Zabi,

It seems like thermal inertia at work. In Picture2.png, the temperature drops at an initial rate of a few thousand K/s. That same rate, applied to time intervals on the order of 1e-7s , in Picture1.png, results in temperature decreases that are 1/ too small to be noticeable on your graph, and 2/ smaller than sources of inaccuracy in your model (such as uncertainty on the model inputs) anyways .

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Zabi, It seems like thermal inertia at work. In Picture2.png, the temperature drops at an initial rate of a few thousand K/s. That same rate, applied to time intervals on the order of 1e-7s , in Picture1.png, results in temperature decreases that are 1/ too small to be noticeable on your graph, and 2/ smaller than sources of inaccuracy in your model (such as uncertainty on the model inputs) anyways . Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.