Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi-material Coil issue

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having an issue simulating a coil usng magnetic fields physics. I have simplified the problem down as much as I can an find that the coil feature only seems to work when all parts of the coil circuit are made from the same material.

My simple problem consists of three blocks, initially all made from copper. I join them with a void block removed from the mf solution and surround with a sphere of air with a layer of infinite elements. I form a coil from the three copper blocks, add input/output boundaries, mesh and compute, this works with no problems. I then duplicate the copper material - to 'copper 2' and rerun the simulation. This also works just fine.

Now I change the electrical conductivity of copper 2 from the 5.998e7[S/m] value that the original copper has to 5.900e7[S/m]. A minimalchange in electrical conductivity to one section of the coil. COMSOL is unable to find a solution due to divergence.

I have (hopefully) uploaded an image to illustrate.

Does anyone have a solution or advice? Do I need to make a chain of coils linked to each other? If so, how to I link them?

Thanks in advance

0 Replies Last Post 28 avr. 2020, 10:30 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tim Tilford

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.