Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating Machinery field distortion for discontinuous mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating a simple model of a conductor rotating in a uniform magnetic field. I am using the rotating machinery module in order to do so. I form an assembly and use a moving mesh in order to rotate the conductor, using a Continuity node between the moving and fixed domains. However, when i run the simulation, the field at the Continuity boundary is distorted, as shown in the attached figure.

I realize that the boundary is too close to the conductor and that this would probably work if the boundary was set further. However, this simulation is a precursor to another more complex model which would require the boundary to be close to the conductor.

I believe that the problem is caused by the Continuity node imposing continuity on the vector potential, whereas I am plotting the derivative of the vector potential. Is there any way to have a continuity of the derivative as opposed to a continuity of the dependent variable? I have also tried using weak constraints for the Continuity, but I still get the distortions.

Thank you

Alex!

1 Reply Last Post 30 avr. 2020, 11:20 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 30 avr. 2020, 11:20 UTC−4

Well, turns out that simply refining the mesh near the edge of the circle did the trick!

Well, turns out that simply refining the mesh near the edge of the circle did the trick!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.