Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tet vs quad Mesh?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I use the free tetrahedral meshing as it is the default. I read a comsol blog post basically saying that tetrahedral meshing is superior in enabling comsol to find a suitable mesh. I can't however find any specific reasons for using tetrahedral instead of ie free quad and therefore have a hard time explaining my mesh setup from an engineering standpoint.

Thank you in advance

2 Replies Last Post 30 avr. 2020, 02:28 UTC−4

Posted: 4 years ago 29 avr. 2020, 15:03 UTC−4
Updated: 4 years ago 30 avr. 2020, 02:24 UTC−4

that's the article i was referring to.

https://www.comsol.de/blogs/meshing-your-geometry-various-element-types

that's the article i was referring to.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 30 avr. 2020, 02:28 UTC−4

Hi,

The free quad mesh is a 2D mesh on boundaries, whereas the free tetrahedral mesh is a 3D volume mesh, so they cannot really be compared.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, The free quad mesh is a 2D mesh on boundaries, whereas the free tetrahedral mesh is a 3D volume mesh, so they cannot really be compared.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.