Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Export to Paraview (vtk/vtu)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to export my results from Comsol to Paraview. However, when I export the results in .vtu format, I loose the internal boundaries of my geometry and it appears as a uniform block. So for instance the internal division between three blocks as well as some holes that I have in the geometry are not visible. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thank You!

1 Reply Last Post 23 mars 2020, 08:56 UTC−4
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 23 mars 2020, 08:56 UTC−4

It sounds as if you have exported results for a tetrahedral mesh to a .vtu-file. .vtu isn't a geometry file format, so it doesn't contain any information about boundaries (internal or external). What you can do is export the boundaries of to a separate .vtu-file (using the Geometry level) setting. By importing both files (one for the volume elements and one for the boundaries) into Paraview you might be able to proceed.

Caveat: I have never used Paraview.

It sounds as if you have exported results for a tetrahedral mesh to a .vtu-file. .vtu isn't a geometry file format, so it doesn't contain any information about boundaries (internal or external). What you can do is export the boundaries of to a separate .vtu-file (using the Geometry level) setting. By importing both files (one for the volume elements and one for the boundaries) into Paraview you might be able to proceed. Caveat: I have never used Paraview.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.