Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D-Axisymmetric Simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

The below post is related to an archived discussion

[start here]Hi all, I've provided a link to a previous discussion that somewhat addresses my question, but I am still looking for additional insight. Essentially, I am looking to simulate a axisymmetric structure. I'd like to investigate the optical properties of the structure after introducing a plane-wave excitation source. From the linked description, it appears that it is relatively difficult to achieve this in Comsol because of the underlying assumption that the axisymmetry exists through the entire module. I've looked into some other sources which discuss the breakdown of a traditional plane-wave into Jacobi-Anger expansion of modes, but I do not know if this is the correct approach. I'm curious, is it best to simulate the 3D model instead due to the plane-wave excitation difficulties? Or is there a simple work around. Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post 5 août 2019, 21:48 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 5 août 2019, 21:48 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 5 août 2019, 21:48 UTC−4

Indeed you can do that in RF module (or called electromagnetic waves module now?), where the azimuthal order m can be specified (not necessarily zero). As you said, you expand the plane wave into its cylindrical harmonics, then you can simulate your problem with a series of separate 2D axisymmetric models instead of a 3D model. For every one of these components (with azimuthal order m = m1) of the plane wave you establish a 2D axisymmetric model with the corresponding order m1. In the end, you do a summation of the results to get the 3D field distribution. Of course, you would ensure the convergence against the order number.

The above technique called 2.5D modelling has been described in detail in the following source: https://www.comsol.com/paper/going-beyond-axisymmetry-2-5d-vector-electromagnetics-13921

You also can find more relevant references with the keywords.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Indeed you can do that in RF module (or called electromagnetic waves module now?), where the azimuthal order m can be specified (not necessarily zero). As you said, you expand the plane wave into its cylindrical harmonics, then you can simulate your problem with a series of separate 2D axisymmetric models instead of a 3D model. For every one of these components (with azimuthal order m = m1) of the plane wave you establish a 2D axisymmetric model with the corresponding order m1. In the end, you do a summation of the results to get the 3D field distribution. Of course, you would ensure the convergence against the order number. The above technique called 2.5D modelling has been described in detail in the following source: https://www.comsol.com/paper/going-beyond-axisymmetry-2-5d-vector-electromagnetics-13921 You also can find more relevant references with the keywords.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.