Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to define my own inductive heating branch?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody:

I am doing inductive heating, but the original "inductive heating" branch have a little problem that it have to study the thermal problem in the air region, thus first waste computational time (I don't care the temperature distribution in the air); second it is hard to define the boundary condition between the work-piece and air (I want to use the heat transfer coefficient, but it can not define in the inner boundary).

Therefore, I want to use magnetic and heating transfer to build my "inductive heating", studying magnetic frequency in all domains, then use the current density in heat generation in heat transient study in the work-piece only.

However, when I add magnetic and heating transfer in solid together, there is not frequency - transient study type that was in the original "inductive heating" branch.

Thank you for helping me!

2 Replies Last Post 28 oct. 2011, 17:12 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 oct. 2011, 08:09 UTC−4
Sorry for disturbing, but I think I have to let more people to see this problem.

Please help me.

Thanks a lot.
Sorry for disturbing, but I think I have to let more people to see this problem. Please help me. Thanks a lot.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 oct. 2011, 17:12 UTC−4
If I understand, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

For instance, use the Magnetic Fields physics module to obtain the heating term (mf.Qh). Then use the Heat Transfer in Solids module to perform a thermal analysis by assigning mf.Qh in the Heat Source node, for just the solid domain.

Perhaps the problem is that a Frequency Domain study type is not visible by default since you have added the Heat Transfer physics.

Expand the node which says something like "Other Study Types", and you should see it there.

I do not have access to Comsol at the moment, but will verify this later.

Good luck
If I understand, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly. For instance, use the Magnetic Fields physics module to obtain the heating term (mf.Qh). Then use the Heat Transfer in Solids module to perform a thermal analysis by assigning mf.Qh in the Heat Source node, for just the solid domain. Perhaps the problem is that a Frequency Domain study type is not visible by default since you have added the Heat Transfer physics. Expand the node which says something like "Other Study Types", and you should see it there. I do not have access to Comsol at the moment, but will verify this later. Good luck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.