Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem with time dependent phase transition model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I've built a model which involves a phase transition.
I want to see how long does it take for the phase transition to occur.
when I run the model with range(0,2,800) it gives logical results
with the typical graph of temperature vs. time where the temperature stays the same
as long as the phase transition occurs. But, when I run with (0,2,900), the phase
transition disappears and I get a graph with a continues temperature rise.
Is there anyone who encountered the same problem or has a solution?

thank you,
Zvika

2 Replies Last Post 10 sept. 2013, 13:19 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 oct. 2011, 01:21 UTC−4
Hi

I can make a guess, it might be something else, but when you give a series to the solver, and leave the solver settings to default "Automatic" the solver will not solve strictly at each point you give, but might skip several, depending on the Jacobian of your system (derivative of the variables), so if you reach a regular intercase, the solver might skip over the non-linear transition. Try to use an "intermediate" or "strict" stepping method. See the solver node settings

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can make a guess, it might be something else, but when you give a series to the solver, and leave the solver settings to default "Automatic" the solver will not solve strictly at each point you give, but might skip several, depending on the Jacobian of your system (derivative of the variables), so if you reach a regular intercase, the solver might skip over the non-linear transition. Try to use an "intermediate" or "strict" stepping method. See the solver node settings -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 sept. 2013, 13:19 UTC−4
hi

can the phase transition be stimulated in microchannel?
which module will give the best result??

thanks
ajith
hi can the phase transition be stimulated in microchannel? which module will give the best result?? thanks ajith

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.