Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optical Fiber_3D Mode Analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm studying the design for the optical waveguides. I wanted to obtain the results of 3D modal analysis of the optical fiber by using COMSOL (Model wizard - 3D - RF Module - EMW). And I selected the frequency domain in the study step. In the Geometry, the optical fiber was drawn, I set up the index of refraction of the core and clad in the Materials.
I made 2 Ports, and set those to the both side of the core of the optical fiber. And after that I formed the Mesh with Free Tetrahedral 1, fixed the frequency range from 3e14 to 4e14(the space is 0.1e14), and compute the Study.
(Referred to the h_bend_waveguide_3d of the model library, I made Parametric Sweep.)

Here, my question is as follows.

1. Why doesn't figure which the electric field shows normally come out properly?
2. The port seems to have to be set up in the optical fiber as the Coaxial,Why is the error generated if it does with the Coaxial? (tarnally, If it does with the Rectangular in the Type of Port, there is no error. Of course,but figure of the electric field came out wrong.)
3. Is the mistake that I selected to choose the frequency domain in the study step? In that case, Do I have to select the Boundary Mode Analysis or other thing?

The COMSOL seems to be so difficult in understanding. Please,a advice is asked I for.
(I attached the mph file which I made in the version 4.0a of the COMSOL)

0 Replies Last Post 20 sept. 2011, 04:23 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yong Soo Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.