Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

velocity profiles of pipe and annulus

Michael Rembe Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have bad convergence using a constant velocity (v=Q/A) for a pipe inflow.

Using a parabolic velocity profile I get excellent convergence! The formula is v=2*Q/A*(1-r^2/R^2) with:
r - space coordinate of an axisymmetrical model
R- pipe radius

Does anybody know the formula of the velocity profile of an annulus (axisymmetrical model)?

Thanks
Michael

4 Replies Last Post 18 août 2011, 02:37 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 août 2011, 06:14 UTC−4
Hi

in laminar regular flow for an isotropic model its approaching a parabola, that explains probably why you get a better convergence starting closer to the final solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in laminar regular flow for an isotropic model its approaching a parabola, that explains probably why you get a better convergence starting closer to the final solution -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 août 2011, 06:24 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,
yes, this is right. But now I'm looking for a velocity profile (laminar flow) for an annulus (two pipes into one another).

The formula should be similar to v=4*v_max*s*(1-s) in 2D, but just for a 2d-axisymmetric model

Michael
Hi Ivar, yes, this is right. But now I'm looking for a velocity profile (laminar flow) for an annulus (two pipes into one another). The formula should be similar to v=4*v_max*s*(1-s) in 2D, but just for a 2d-axisymmetric model Michael

Lechoslaw Krolikowski

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 août 2011, 13:55 UTC−4
Hi Michael,
Attached is the velocity profile you are looking for.
BR
Andrzej
Hi Michael, Attached is the velocity profile you are looking for. BR Andrzej

Posted: 1 decade ago 18 août 2011, 02:37 UTC−4
Hi Andrzej,

thank you very much for the velocity profile!

Best regards
Michael
Hi Andrzej, thank you very much for the velocity profile! Best regards Michael

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.