Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with surface integral of the elerctric energy density

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a simple model of two metal electrodes (cubes) in vacuum box (also cube). In the simulation I calculate the electric field using the electrostatic module. Then I want to calculate a surface integral of the electric field on one boundary (face) of one of the cubes (result should is in [J/m]).

The problem is that I am geting diferent numbers when integrating over the energy density (es.We) compared to integrating over (es.normE* es.normD* 0.5), which should be the same by definition. The difference is exactly factor of 4 (integral over esWe is bigger)!

When I do the domain integration over the whole vaccum box (total energy in [J]) I get the same numbers (as expected) when using both expressions.

What am I missing? Which value of the surface integral should I believe?

(I need the value of the surface integral to get a "thickness density" of the electric field energy, which I will use for my next calculations).

1 Reply Last Post 23 nov. 2018, 13:46 UTC−5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 23 nov. 2018, 13:46 UTC−5
Updated: 6 years ago 23 nov. 2018, 13:46 UTC−5

The problem seems to be even deeper. The factor of 4 appears already when exporting the values of the energy density calculated by different expressions (see attachment).

Any help?

The problem seems to be even deeper. The factor of 4 appears already when exporting the values of the energy density calculated by different expressions (see attachment). Any help?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.