Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plots and deformation with prescribed displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm working on a project where a domain shrinks because of a chemical transformation (AlAs -> AlOx). Given there is no physics handling atom diffusion and chemical transformations in solids in COMSOL (as far as i know), I tried to use the "prescribed displacement" function, my goal only being to study the strains and the displacement occuring in other domains of the structure.

But i'm a little puzzeld by the results; whereas the plots seem fine when I don't represent the deformations, it become rubbish when i try to plot them, with overlapping boudaries, displacement with no relations whatsoever with the values I prescribed earlier, and so on.

It is not critical to me to get those deformations on my plots, but it would make more sense and be more self explanatory with them, for exemple to show my results to colleagues.

Any idea where it could come from?

Thank you very much.

Antoine

Ps: note that it does not occure only with prescribed displacement but also when a fixed load is applied for exemple.
I'm using linux and comsol 4.2.

2 Replies Last Post 5 août 2011, 03:46 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29 juil. 2011, 11:15 UTC−4
Hi

can it be related to the by default automatic scaling of the deformation plots, you can manually set the scale in the deformation plot node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi can it be related to the by default automatic scaling of the deformation plots, you can manually set the scale in the deformation plot node -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 août 2011, 03:46 UTC−4
Yes, that's it, thanks for your help.

Antoine Gerlaud
Yes, that's it, thanks for your help. Antoine Gerlaud

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.