Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fill Geometric gap

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, probably a trivial question but it is an annoying problem for me.

I have a model essentailly made up of a number beams connected together and then 'union'ed together to form the whole and extruded into 3D.

The problem i have is that sometimes a smal,..sliver of a gap remainswhere some beams look to join which then leads to COMSOL throwing a fit in a number of places :).

Anyone happen to know of a way to get Comsol to fill the gap so to speak. I thought repair might work but it does not seem to do anything high or low value.

I attatched a small example pic.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards Mike F

4 Replies Last Post 6 sept. 2014, 10:39 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 juil. 2011, 03:24 UTC−4
Mike,

If you are only interested in the final outside dimension (not the internal domains). Then I would extend the lower rectangle upwardsto cover the gap left by the other two shapes.

I would then form the union and then delete internal boundaries.

Regards,
Tom
Mike, If you are only interested in the final outside dimension (not the internal domains). Then I would extend the lower rectangle upwardsto cover the gap left by the other two shapes. I would then form the union and then delete internal boundaries. Regards, Tom

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 juil. 2011, 08:46 UTC−4
Sadly I can't do this manually,

The design is essentially part of a stochastic design optimisation process, and as a result I have no control over the design.

Essentially the process overrides certain parameters of a default design to create a new one. I just wondered if Comsol had a process which could be called which might be able to 'repair' these little niggles :).

Regards MF
Sadly I can't do this manually, The design is essentially part of a stochastic design optimisation process, and as a result I have no control over the design. Essentially the process overrides certain parameters of a default design to create a new one. I just wondered if Comsol had a process which could be called which might be able to 'repair' these little niggles :). Regards MF

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 juil. 2011, 06:55 UTC−4
Hi,

Have you checked out the ConvertToSolid, ConvertToSurface, ConvertToCurve, ConvertToPoint functions. They are described in the COMSOL API documentation.

Tom
Hi, Have you checked out the ConvertToSolid, ConvertToSurface, ConvertToCurve, ConvertToPoint functions. They are described in the COMSOL API documentation. Tom

Posted: 10 years ago 6 sept. 2014, 10:39 UTC−4
Hi,
I am working on Joule Heating module and designing a microheater.
I have a zig zag kind of geometry on which i want to deposit a layer. Now the problem is how to deposit that layer. It will be tedious to give coordinates at every curve. Is there any option where i can give the four coordinates of the corners and it will fill all the space in between these coordinates.
Seeking help.
Thanks
Hi, I am working on Joule Heating module and designing a microheater. I have a zig zag kind of geometry on which i want to deposit a layer. Now the problem is how to deposit that layer. It will be tedious to give coordinates at every curve. Is there any option where i can give the four coordinates of the corners and it will fill all the space in between these coordinates. Seeking help. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.